Stock Your Camper: Must Haves, Nice To Haves, and Luxury ItemsMar 28, 2023
I’m an Ember RV Brand Ambassador, which means that I am compensated for my recommendations. That does not mean I’m influenced in any way about what my recommendations include. Because the truth is I reached out to them and convinced them I was the right person for this job. Because I adore their product, their branding, and their humans.
This post does include affiliate links, which means I will make a commission if you choose to make a purchase.
Welcome to the recreational vehicle and camper life. If you’re new here, stocking your camper can quickly become overwhelming. The good news is the must haves list is short, which means in a pinch you can hit the road by this weekend. With more time, you can pack your camper with everything you need to live comfortably even when 100 percent off grid.
We’re first-time camper owners, which means we dove directly into research and learning by experience. This is our basics list, which you’ll be able to expand upon based on your unique wants and needs.
- Curved RV Levelers – While most natural and RV resort camp sites are level, you’ll never know when you need an easy, efficient way to level your unit. Our base camp levelness is dependent on moisture levels, which means we’ve already used curved levelers to save the day.
- Bubble Level – You’ll use it for a total of 3 minutes during each set up and you’ll be glad to have it.
- Drinking Water Hose -It’s true, there is a difference between a regular water hose and a drinking water hose.
- Water Pressure Regulator – While we can hope all water hookups are equal, we can’t confirm it. A water pressure regulator can ensure consistency with your water pressure.
- Sewer Hose Kit, Swivel Transparent Elbow – While dumping the black and gray tanks isn’t anyone’s choice of a good time, it’s the cost of easy living with your dream camper. You’ll absolutely need the transparent elbow.
- Surge Protector – You run all your important household appliances and electronics through a surge protector, which means you’ll want to protect your most fun asset the same.
- Water filter – Protect your fresh water tank from sediment, odor, chlorine, and taste with a simple water filter that connects between the water supply and drinking water hose.
- First aid kit – Life happens when you’re busy having fun, it’s best to be prepared.
- Rapid-Dissolving, RV toilet paper – Read this twice: you cannot use regular household toilet paper in your recreational vehicle / camper / motorhome.
- Septic Treatment – Toilet treatment will help control unwanted odors and break down waste and tissue in your holding tank.
- Poo-Pourri Before-You-go Toilet Spray – This feels important with tight quarters.
- Beddys Bedding – Beddy’s all-in-one zippered, high-quality bedding makes life easier and keeps your camper tidy. The last thing you need – or want – to worry about is making your bed. The entire bedding goes on like a fitted sheet and zips up with easy-pull tabs for easy bed making when not in use.
- Spring tension double rods – When prepping to move your unit, you’ll reach for spring tension double rods every time for your refrigerator, cabinets, and open shelving in the bathroom. We use 8 total.
- Serta pillows – Sleep is important, don’t skip on high-quality pillows.
- 2.1 Gallon Hanging Garbage Can for Cabinet Door – Fits perfectly under the sink.
- Stanley Adventure Even-Heat Camp Pro Cookset – Make hearty meals with Stanely’s fully-loaded prep and cook set that packs up small for the campsite or RV.
Nice to Haves:
- Cutting Board Set with Storage Case Color-Coded Easy-Access Design Dishwasher Safe Non-Slip, Small, Graphite – Whether you’re utilizing the indoor burners, outdoor grill, or fire, food prep will be part of your schedule. These cutting boards are easy to store and easy to use.
- Compact Cutlery Organizer Kitchen Drawer – Efficiency is the name of the game when it comes to limited storage. It’s best to be intentional with your space, which is exactly why this drawer organizer is helpful.
- Utensils – Stock your camper with your personal preference of utensils. We loved the look of these and they’re working great.
- Hydro Flask Stainless Steel Outdoor Kitchen Bowls (5 qt, 3 qt, 1 qt) – Each bowl comes with a sealable lid, which means you can use the bowls for meal prep, serving, or storage. The lid ensures your food is fly-free while dining outdoors. As a wife, mom, and novice camper, these have absolutely been worth the investment.
- Bamboo Drawer Dividers – These adjustable expanders are perfect for storage lacking dividers (for us it’s adobe the couch in the pull out and above our bed) where the things you’re storing tend to slide around.
- Stanley Coffee Mugs – Choose to brew and drink in style.
- Stanley Tumblers – There’s a reason our grandparents’ original Stanelys are still in their cupboard: the quality. The new soft matte flowstate™ levels up to the type of camp experience you seek.
- Stanley Kids Tumbler – Hydration is key when you’re adventuring. Keep your water accessible with a kid friendly tumbler.
- Stanley Perfect-Brew Pour Over Coffee Set – It’s not only stainless steel, but it’s also filter-free, which makes this the go-to pour over set for the novice or experienced coffee brewer.
- WÜSTHOF 8-Piece Stainless Steak Knife Set – If you’re going to eat a tender, juicy steak with a campsite view, don’t ruin it with a subpar knife.
- Pepper Salt Grinder Set of 2 – We utilize salt and pepper grinders at home, and knew we’d want them on the road, too.
- Portable clothesline – We travel with a toddler and two dogs, something is always wet.
- Pour Over Coffee Kettle with Thermometer – Whether you’re brewing pour over coffee or hot tea, you’ll love this stainless steel kettle.
- DeWALT 20V MAX XR High Torque 3/4-Inch Impact Wrench – It’s an easy way to let down the stabilizers.
- Dyson Cordless HEPA vacuum – Yes, absolutely, you can use a broom and dust pan, which is why we’re filing this under “luxury.”
- Dyson battery adapter for DeWALT Batteries – While I love the Dyson Cordless Vacuum, the battery life is less than inspiring.
- Stainless Steel 10 Piece Set, Stackable 5 Measuring Cups and 5 Measuring Spoons – If exact measurements are important to you, you’ll need stackable measuring cups. This stainless steel set is a tremendous option.
- Magnetic Spice Jars – Stylish magnetic jars stick to your fridge providing easy access to highly-used spices. Or, choose to display on a small stand to move between your in-unit burners and outdoor kitchen.
- YETI dog bowl – If you’re traveling with pets, you’ll need a dog bowl. And, if you’re traveling in an Ember, you may want one that matches your unit, which is why we love this product in Alpine Yellow.
- NEMO Stargaze Recliner Luxury Camping Chair – This is one of those times you only know if you know, because while some people just see a chair, the ones who spend time in one after a long day hiking or fishing or boating know it’s exactly how you want to spend your evening by a campfire under the stars.
- Outdoor rug – An outdoor rug is an easy way to show off your personal aesthetic while also keeping dirt and debris to a minimum.
- Bubble machine – As an experienced toddler mom, I assure you this is worth the purchase. It can make a low key moment dreamy and entertain a grown man or a teething toddler. It’s worth the storage space.
Your camper is an extension of how you choose to spend your time. I do recommend intentionally stocking your unit with what will best serve you and who you choose to travel with based on how you adventure!